Saturday, August 06, 2005

Marble Slab Creamery

If you've never been to the Marble Slab Creamery, and there's one near you, then you should go. It's not just an ice cream shop with several hand-dipped flavors and fancy waffle cones. When Shannon, Ben, and I first walked in, we thought that. I sampled the banana flavored ice cream, and it was very good. However, although the few featured flavors sounded good, overall we were not impressed by the dearth of choices. That is, until I said I wanted one scoop of banana and one scoop of the peanut butter ice cream. "Do you want me to mix those together for you?" the girl behind the counter asked.

I lowered my head a bit, as she was shorter than I and wore a baseball cap. I looked her in the eye. "You can do that?" I asked. She nodded. I got a little excited. "Oh, yeah, let's do that," I said.

The mixing was nothing like what Dairy Queen does with the Blizzard machine. Using two generous ice cream scoops, she dipped one flavor with each hand and walked to the end of the line, where a frosty cold marble slab awaited. She tapped the scoops onto the marble and manually pressed and stirred the ice cream.

Peanut butter and banana ice cream? Yes. I recommend it. Other choices included cinnamon, blueberry, cheesecake, and key lime. Shannon had key lime cheesecake. Mine was better, but Ben was glad to enjoy a little bit of both.

No comments: